Sunday, November 9, 2014

Potty Training

Griffin has been using the potty for both #1 and #2 now for a month or so now - right after his 2.5 birthday. I was anticipating a battle, but it was relatively easy. However, I think my anticipation of it being hard helped me in the long run because we have been talking to Griffin about the potty ever since he turned one! 

We started with letting him watch us use the bathroom. I know that's really gross to some people, but really? How else is he supposed to learn?? He would follow us in there anyways, so Brandon and I both explained what we were doing each time.  

When he turned 2, we started to let him sit on the potty. Sometimes he would sit with his clothes on, sometimes with just his diaper, and sometimes naked. He brushed his teeth there, and we fixed his hair there to get him used to the feeling. 

Then when he turned 2.5, I started putting him on the potty more when I knew he needed to go. I also let him pick out his own underwear. He of course went with Cars! I would let him wear them on occasion. This is the time he also started daycare two days a week. His teachers would take him potty which helped tremendously! His favorite TV show, Daniel Tiger, also showed an episode where Daniel goes potty. I recorded that, and we watched it a lot. 

So Labor Day rolls around and I thought since I has a three day weekend, he was ready! Unfortunately that was not the case... He did great on Saturday with three accidents and four successes. However, that was enough to make me want to quit! So I did. We went back to just taking it easy. I never wanted to force anything. 

After we settled in to our new apartment in October, I started putting him in underwear every night. He did awesome! So after a week of that, I let him go to church with undies. And that was it! He has been in undies since then! He's only had one accident (when I left him with dad, and dad forgot to take him). At first, we took him every hour, but after a week, he knew the feeling and would tell us when he needed to go. 

Griffin wakes up dry from his naps 99% if the time and about 50% of the time in the morning. I'm so proud of him! I wouldn't change a thing looking back. It was the easiest potty training experience - not that I have anything to compare to, but I have heard many stories. Mommas love to share their stories- don't we? 

His favorite reward - pop tarts!!

No comments: