Saturday, October 17, 2009

State Fair

I was so excited to come home from a hard day of teaching yesterday. I had visions of a nice dinner with my husband followed up by cuddling on the couch with a movie. However, we ended up going to the Arkansas State Fair with two of our good friends, Brad and Katie. It was.... well... fun, yet scary.

First, the fairgrounds are located in a frightening part of town. We passed up the dark alley parking spots, and opted to park in someones yard with a porch light. At the fair, there was an interesting mix of cowboys, gangsters, teeny boppers, carnies, and families. I even saw a cowboy, complete with boots and a pig, with two lip piercings! What did they all have in common?? They all spent waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money to enjoy a fun night at the fair.  However, I must say the corndogs, funnel cake, and fried oreoes were worth every penny!

Bran and I didn't ride any rides. Armbands were $22! Crazy! We walked around, me clutching his arm tighting. We visited the enormous pigs and all the cattle barns. My favorite part was watching all of the characters around me. I couldn't help but wonder what their stories were. We found out that most of the employees were from South Africa. I loved listening to their accents as they tried to persaude us to pay $10 to play an impossible game. How does someone come from South Africa to Little Rock, AR to work at a fair?? I wish I could've sat down and talked to one of them.

I became very aware last night of my extremely sheltered life. I have been so blessed to grow up in a loving home with God-fearing parents. Last night, I witnessed an extremely drunk father, embarrassing his two children, while the drunk mother laughed at his "witty" jokes. He could barely keep his beer in his cup. I have never even been around people who act like that. Some may call me a prude, I prefer to look at it like God has had his hand over me. I would not change any of my upbringing if I could. So, mom, dad, if you are reading this, THANK YOU!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, this is going to be so good. I love it! And you are welcomed.